Wednesday, November 14, 2007

What Kids Can Do These Days

This past weekend, I went to see the musical that my nephew's in. The play is 'Oklahoma!' and though I knew it was a western, I wasn't familiar with the story line. [For those of you that know the story, my nephew played the part of 'Curly', one of the lead characters.]

Anyway, I was really impressed with Christopher and the rest of the cast; they were really awesome--in the acting as well as all of the singing and dancing [and no, I'm not saying this just because I'm his proud aunt. :-) ].

I really don't see how these kids can memorize all of their lines, learn the songs and dances and such [for a performance that was almost 3 hours long!]. Along with going to school, many of these kids are taking AP classes, other outside activities like sports, other clubs or jobs, and find time to study, to eat, sleep, etc. And so many of them get good grades AND perform so well. There's no way that I could do even half of what these kids are doing these days. Not just this nephew, but all 7 of my nieces and nephews are keeping as busy and are doing so well in their chosen activities.

In some ways, it's sad to see them all grow up so fast but it's also wonderful for me to sit back and watch them develop into the fine individuals that they are. I realize that a lot of people see this sort of thing with their own kids, but me, I don't have the pleasure of having kids of my own. But in so many ways, I think I'm in a better spot since I get to see them doing these things they love [be it performing in a play, a soccer game, or even with their computer games]; I can talk and hang out with them in ways parents can't, yet I don't have to bug them to do their chores, to pay the bills, make them eat their vegetables, or to remind them to brush their teeth before going to bed.

It's cool being an aunt; I just wish I could see them more often. You know kids, though; they have their own lives to live...

No comments: