Wednesday, November 7, 2007

More Reading Tips

Continued from yesterday... Some of these ideas are common sense but heck, who says I *have* any common sense? :-) Ignore these as you see fit.

-Make reading a challenge. Maybe a couple books a week, a chapter every day, 40 books in a year. Whatever it is to keep you reading without being overwhelming or feeling that it's a chore.

-Cut back on tv and online reading. I guess we need to make time somehow!

-Join a book club. Check out what the library or local bookstores have to offer. If you know other book-lovers, think about starting your own book club. I've been in a bookstore club as well as with friends; it's always interesting to get other people's interpretation of the reading material. If nothing else, check out some of the online forums. And a lot of authors have their own websites.

-Always carry a book with you. We never know when we'll get stuck waiting somewhere; use this bit of time as an escape.

-Read what you can't put down. That'll keep us going! On the same notion, if you're not enjoying the book, don't feel obligated to finish it!

-Always have books to read. This author said that he usually has at least 5 books from his list on-hand. If you get yours from the library, get several at one time. Or, if you're like me and want to OWN them [after all, they're friends who've poured their hearts out to me], check out the used bookstores, resale shops [I recently got a few from the Salvation Army store], or your library's 'Friends of the Library' sale. My local library's 'friends' store is open a few hours, 6 days a week!

-Connect with your passions. Not just a passion to read more books but to stay connected to whatever else floats your boat.

[I probably should add here that eachl suggestion is the author Leo from Zen Habits, as mentioned yesterday. But in most of the posts, I've added my 2 cents worth as well. I also didn't include every single one.]

If any of you have other ideas and/or specific titles or authors to recommend, please do so here in the comments section. I'd love to hear and probably want to read them, too!

No comments: