Sunday, March 16, 2008

Eternal Immortality

My Mother has gone to her eternal rest yesterday morning. An online friend sent the following poem this morning, which I found touching:


"A Parable of Immortality" by Henry Van Dyke.

As I stand on a mountaintop,
The great bird approaches.
She is small in my sight
But grows larger as she nears
Until I am blessed with the full sight
Of her graceful wings,
Proud countenance, strength, and good company.
All too quickly she grows small again
On the horizon
And disappears from view.
And I call out,
“There! She’s gone.”
But gone from where?
Gone from my sight is all.
She is just as large in spirit and might
As when she left my side.
Her diminished size is in me -
Not her.
But there are other mountains beyond me,
And at the precise moment when I note the great bird's
Departure from my view,
I know there are new eyes taking up the sight of her
And fresh voices calling out
"Here she comes!"


I hope to get back to my regular postings soon.

2 comments:

Gwen said...

Hi Denise - I just read this and am so sorry to hear about your Mom. Please accept my deepest condolances. Gwen

DeniseInYpsi said...

Thank you, Gwen; my mom is definitely missed by a lot of people. It's been a month already and sometimes I still forget that she's not at the apartment with my dad.