Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Pre-Holiday Ramblings

There are still a couple weeks til the Christmas holiday and I'm definitely having mixed feelings about it. On Sunday, I was at the annual Christmas party at the retirement village where my folks live. Everything was all decked out nicely [Christmas trees and poinsettas all over the place, lots of garland, ribbon, holiday lights, etc], there were lots of snacks and [non-alcoholic] drinks to consume while listening to live holiday music... And my 7 year-old niece got to sit on Santa's lap and tell him what she'd like this year. [Of course I took some pictures!]

So that was all fine and good. And I've been enjoying seeing the holiday lights in the neighborhood. But I'm not decorating at all. With having to downsize with my last couple moves, I had to give away all of the stuff I had [and some I've had for years]. Maybe I can find something at the dollar store or something [but yet, I don't want anything tacky, or to get stuff just for the sake of having something].

And baking... Holiday cookie baking was a big thing in my family during my growing up years. We'd make a big variety, then package up plates to pass out to neighbors and friends; that was always fun. And for a couple years before moving south, I hosted a holiday cookie exchange. I miss doing that sort of thing but I just can't afford to do any extra cooking or baking right now. Such is life; I can still recall the memories--with the help from my scrapbooks!

This is one of the big 'family' time of year... But as with a lot of families that are spread out all over the place and siblings that have family obligations on their spouse's side, it's not so easy getting together at one time [maybe that's a good thing for a lot of us; me included]. So we're not having our gathering until later that week. All of my brothers and their families will meet at one brother's house... But it looks like my younger sister won't make it home til sometime in January. And my parents can't make it because my mother can't travel. However, I heard awhile back that a cousin and family will be coming for a visit from Ireland. I hope that'll work out, I haven't seen her in years!

Ok, this is getting way too long and boring. I'm hesitating on even posting it but will anyway. I might actually want to go back and reread it some day. And if I don't post it here, I'll never find it again!

No comments: