Monday, December 31, 2007

Moving beyond Christmas

It's the last day of the year and I'm ready to move on. Enough of the Christmas rush, shopping, post-holiday sales, and trying to be on our best behavior at the family gatherings [it's sooo much easier having fun with our friends' parties, isn't it?].

There's nothing wrong with the family gatherings; its the one time that most of us CAN get together since so many people are off work during this week. But it's always hectic getting ready for it and once everyone's there, it's so noisy with everyone talking at once, it's hard to figure out what's being said.

We had our family get-together on Friday [12/28]; we had 21 people hanging out and eating dinner in a private dining room in the retirement village where my parents live. The ages ranged from my parents [just 2 months short of being 80 and 78], down to 4 years of age. My parents had 4 of their 5 living children with them, along with their 3 daughter-in-laws, 7 grandkids, a cousin from Ireland with her husband and 2 kids, and one of my brother's nieces from his wife's side of the family. So as you can imagine, it was a loud and rowdy place. And we all were glad that we didn't have to set up the room nor tear it down; didn't have to cook the dinner, either.

The kids got together and did a dvd exchange while the adults did a book exchange and I think everyone went home happy.

I'm now all tired out from everything. I have difficulties with holidays in general [for reasons of my own], but besides the traditional holiday stuff, there is still the day-to-day routines to take care of. I still went to help with my mom as I do a couple times a week--but with the holiday, I was there an extra couple times [3 days in a row, 4 out of 5, and 6 in ten days, but who's counting?] And a few days ago, a friend wasn't doing well and I ended up having to take her to the hospital to be admitted. Went to see her today and she's doing better than she was but probably won't be discharged until the end of the week at the earliest.

Ok, enough for this posting...

No comments: