Sunday, October 28, 2007

Creativity, Trying to Bump It Up a Notch

Still to this day, I wish I was good at some sort of artistic endeavor, be it some sort of drawing or painting, writing stories, designing something fashionable and comfortable, perhaps even designing my own clothing line in styles and sizes to flatter MY figure, not what the media shows us, or maybe even drawing up the blueprints for that cottage I want on the beach. Just don't make me have to sing.

Well, I don't have the talent or drive to accomplish these lofty goals. But I *am* trying to get back into some sort of artisitc mode. Over the years, I've taken 100s and 100s [probably thousands] of photos--mainly candids/people shots but lots of nature as well. I'm not a professional by any means but I do need to get me and my camera out there and start shooting again. Something different, something to get myself out of this rut. Once I do, I'm hoping my creativity will open up in other areas as well [like maybe trying again to do a bit of writing; hence, my starting this blog and see what happens].

I think in one of the earlier posts, I mentioned artist trading cards [ATCs] that people create using all kinds of different materials. Some of these cards are simple, others are very elaborate, and everything in between. There are a few that I've received in swaps that I'm not all that crazy about, but that's ok; it's still art, but the others are awesome! There's no right or wrong way or style in creating these cards other than they should be the size of a standard trading card--2.5"x3.5" [like a standard playing card] and these should be traded, not sold. I initially learned about these things at a scrapbook store in Raleigh, NC; the store owner taught a class; we had time afterwards to create a few and then swap some of them with other class participants. Other swaps were held later, as well. And there are a number of online trading groups with participants ranging from youth to retirees, many just starting out in anything artistic to those that are professional artists. And the participants [male and female] are literally from around the world. Since moving away from NC, I hadn't spent much time trying to do anything at all creative or artisitc until just recently. I found someone to scrapbook with and I signed on to a couple of the ATC online groups-and have already participated in a couple of the swaps. I hope this is something I'll stick with [as long as I see some progress along the way--or at least have fun in trying].

This form of art can open us up to more creativity, creativity brings us more art. And what's wrong with that?

No comments: